Music at St Austin's...
At St Austin’s School we want every child to be happy and enthusiastic learners of Music, and to be eager to achieve their very best in order to fulfil their God-given talents. We firmly believe that the recipe for success is high quality first-wave teaching in Music, which is central to the life of our happy, caring school.
At St Austin's we are really lucky enough to have following musical opportunities:
- Fortnightly Music lessons according to the National Curriculum taught by a BWH music specialist (KS2)
- Music lessons in KS1 follow the National Curriculum / Charanga
- Guitar Lessons
- Clarinet Lessons
- Flute Lessons
- Whole class Recorder lessons
- Whole class Glockenspiel lessons
- Choir - attended Young Voices 2019 / 2020, performed at local nursing homes during the Christmas period, performed at Stafford Gatehouse (Feb 2020).
- Y3 perform annually at St Mary's Church Christmas Tree Festival.
- Whole school hymn practice (not currently happening due to COVID-19)
- One Life Music & faith retreats.
- Cross-curricular singing opportunities (e.g. MFL)
As a part of our cultural capital, children will learn about key composers, periods of music and instruments from Music history.
The Best of the Best...
Here are some famous composers and musicians from the world of music.
Could you aspire to be one of them in the future?
Wolfgang Mozart Ed Sheeran Lera Auerbach Clara Schumann
Opportunities last year (2019-2020):
-All KS2 pupils were taught music by Mrs Helliker (from BWH) once a fortnight.
-Teachers used "Charanga", a scheme, to enhance music lessons.
-KS2 children had the opportunity to learn guitar, clarinet or flute.
-KS1 children have taken part in steel pan / African drum workshops with a professional musician.
-There were 38 children in the KS2 choir who performed at Young Voices 2020, the school Christmas fair and nursing homes over the Christmas period. They also performed at Stafford's Gotta Sing.
-Year 3 performed at St Mary's Christmas Tree Festival (5th December)
-Manchester Camerata worked with Y3 to compose and write a song, based on Fantasia, which they performed at Staffordshire County Showground (March 2020).