St Austin’s Catholic Primary School and Nursery is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
Volunteers play a very important role in our school community. There are many different ways in which parents can help in schools - on an ad hoc or regular basis. These include:
- Helping with literacy (typically listening to children read)
- Helping with numeracy
- Sharing your professional skills (for example, if you’re a doctor, you might go in to talk to a class whose topic is healthy living)
- Helping with classroom activities
- Leading or helping to lead an after school club like art or science
- Helping on school trips, including walking to church and swimming
- Helping with sporting events and productions
- Joining the PTA*
The role of the PTA*
The PTA are involved in fundraising and organising social events for parents and children. In addition to this our PTA may also wish to volunteer in the some of the roles mentioned above.
Fundraising makes a real difference to schools and their pupils, providing extra resources and, in some cases, making it possible for activities such as school trips to happen.
The PTA will bring together parents and teachers who are interested in supporting the school. Meetings are very informal with event planning and organising being the main focus. PTAs tend to meet a couple of times each term with an extra meeting just before an event. Meetings may be held at school, but some PTAs get together at a local pub to make it more of a social gathering.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at St Austin's, please complete and return the application form below to the school office.
Please be aware that references will be required and a DBS check will need to be applied for via the school for some roles, this includes overseas checks if you have previously lived or worked abroad.